Friday 20 April 2012

Humbled, I salute you.

I just discovered Rubber Canuck's thoughts on some of the reviews regarding the weekend. Particularly, mine. His post is very enlightening, and I highly recommend you to read it. It offers a clear window into the side of Rubbout we don't often think about.

It's now almost 5 AM, and its been bugging me all night, so I'm going post this as soon as it's off my chest. Consider this an open letter.

I feel a bit guilty. And that's probably because I am guilty; of being ungrateful.

The review was hard for me to write, because I've always been a stalwart supporter of Rubbout, at least in so far as that I never really had anything but praise for it. I didn't pull any punches, and in retrospect, I somewhat regret it.

Obviously, for the enormous amount of time and hard work you, Rob, and Doug have put into Rubbout, my words must have felt like a slap in the face. To feel your work is unappreciated is never a good thing. It obviously bothered you, and that bothers me. That's not what I wanted. But, I made stupid assumptions, I spoke without knowing, and without consideration. For that, I sincerely apologize, to each of you.

I've always cherished Rubbout, and would be loathe to ever see it falter. My words were, indeed, harsh, but you were correct; I did mean well. I know that you can't please everyone, and so I should have been more understanding. Although, rather ironically, it seems that what you envision for the future of Rubbout is something I'd like to see. I'd like to help, if I can.

I know (more now, then ever) that organizing Rubbout is a massive undertaking, requiring great personal strength and sacrifice. I am humbled. And I salute you.

Again, thank you.

(I have edited the review.)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your apology. Like I said, it's not really needed. Your words hit me negatively at a time I was vulnerable to criticism about the weekend but I realize you were only trying to provide some input from your perspective. I don't in any way want to imply that that particular criticism isn't welcome, because it is. I want to implement your criticisms into the planning for Rubbout 22 because the weekend is first and foremost for the rubbermen and I think that's maybe been lost a bit the past couple of years. We really need to do some soul-searching on what we envision Rubbout to be in a year, five years, ten years from now. Some factions want to see it grow, others want to see it stay close to its original mission, so we have a lot to discuss. I feel bad that you were singled out, and for that I apologize.

    Cheers
    Reid

    ReplyDelete